With more and more seniors embracing technology and the internet, it comes as no surprise that groups who work with older adults are looking for innovative ways to incorporate technology into their services.
One Rhode Island organization has found a helpful way to do just that. The Cranston Senior Enrichment Centre recently launched an app! The Cranston Senior app is available for free from the Apple App Store, Google Play and Windows app store. According to their newsletter, this is a first for a senior center in the entire New England area.
The app provides an easy way for seniors and their family members to access information via smartphone or tablet. It includes:
- Descriptions, dates, times & prices for programs and activities happening at the Center (everything from aerobics to chess to tai chi to Zumba)
- Lunch menus & direct line to make lunch reservations
- Daily schedules of happenings at the Center
- Links to the Center’s Twitter and Facebook pages
- Information about RSVP, the Cranston Retired Senior Volunteer Program
- Contact details for the Center’s staff
- Quick access to selected videos of interest, such as 55+ No Limits
- The latest Cranston Senior Center newsletter
- The Pocket Manual of Elder Services
- And more…
Kudos to the Cranston Senior Enrichment Center for developing a free, easy-to-use tool that helps seniors stay connected to the communities and activities that keep them happy and healthy.